My Illumos troubles keep coming

I am currently trying to add the snappy compression into ZFS for fun. You can check out my code here: https://bitbucket.org/techsaint/zfssnappy
I've been working on this for a few months (started around august). I've had massive roadblocks every step of the way.

The first was the oracle purchase of Sun. Because of the purchase, the Sun Compiler tool patches (which were needed for an illumos build) were removed from the public. It took a month or so for the community to post instructions on using GCC instead of the Sun Compiler.

After that, there was slight bug in the illumos build configuration that didnt allow for working builds if your new build version was older than the whatever version of illumos you were on. See https://www.illumos.org/issues/1118

Now this new bug, is a virtualbox bug, which just appeared out of no where. Here is the ticket: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/9651. Since I rebased with the latest illumos code (as per build instructions) I must've picked up the bug, maybe a regression?


Will i ever actually finish this project? I am not sure. I hope someone else with much more experience with opensolaris/illumos looks into it. I think snappy compression is a great fit with ZFS. And it being a BSD license means it is unencumbered. Until then, I may put this back on hold, or maybe grab an older version of the illumos source just to get a proof of concept. Maybe use another VM for now. I'd like to run some preliminary benches to see if continued work is even worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AutoConf and M4 bliss